November 14, 2019 was World Diabetes Day and we need to constantly be educated and enlightened on this epidemic health issue that in some ways is preventable.
Here is a lovely video made by the International Diabetes Federation, and you can find more information on their website about statistics associated with Diabetes. Let’s help save lives!
Some key messages to take away from the International Diabetes Federation website:
- 1 in every 2 people (212 million) with diabetes is undiagnosed
- If type 1 diabetes is not detected early, it can lead to serious disability or death
- Many cases of type 2 diabetes can be prevented by adopting a healthy lifestyle.
- Families need to live in an environment that supports healthy lifestyles
- Managing diabetes requires daily treatment, regular monitoring, a healthy lifestyle and ongoing education
- Education and ongoing support should be accessible to all individuals and families to help manage diabetes
- Essential diabetes medicines and care must be accessible and affordable for every family
- If you have diabetes in your family, learn about the risks, the warning signs to look out for and what you can do to prevent diabetes and its complications